Family-owned or corporate-owned funeral home: what’s the difference?
Did you know that many funeral homes and cremation providers in Tacoma-Pierce county are owned by large chains and multinationals? This remote ownership can be hidden because, when a conglomerate takes over a funeral home, the name is often left unchanged.
The same cannot be said for the service. Under the disguise of a family firm, prices are usually increased, cremation services are contracted out and employees are trained to upsell merchandise. In other words, the focus becomes profit, not service.
Despite the flurry of takeovers in recent years, Gaffney Funeral Home remains independently owned and operated. We are resolved to stay that way. After all, we have been serving families in and around Tacoma for over 130 years, and a wealth of experience has been handed down through four generations of the Gaffney family. Neither our knowledge nor our links with the community can or should be transferred to a faceless owner located in a distant state.
The level of compassionate care that we provide can only be given by a family-owned funeral home. With Gaffney Funeral Home, you have a wider range of options and the highest level of personal attention. Why? Because we remain accountable to you and your family, not far away stockholders and investors.
If you are looking for funeral directors you can depend on, choose Gaffney Funeral Home.
Why Independent Ownership Matters
If you still unsure of the importance of independent ownership, take a moment to consider the following:
- Gaffney Funeral Home cares about your community because we are part of your community. That is why we consistently receive the highest praise from those that we have cared for. Testimonials from many tell us we could not have done anything better.
- By working with a family-owned funeral home, you are supporting the local economy. All our staff are from the area or graduated from local schools, and we proudly support regional events.
- Losing a loved one is undoubtedly one of the most difficult challenges you will face, so it is important to choose a funeral home that you can trust and that you feel comfortable working with. A family firm can offer you the reliability and understanding you need.
- The Gaffney family owns and operates the only crematory in the city of Tacoma. This unsurpassed level of control gives you options that other providers cannot offer and the assurance that your loved one is not handed over to an unknown third party.
- Because we own and operate our own equipment and facilities, we are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. You will find we respond instantly to your requests and achieve in hours what it takes other funeral homes to achieve in days.
- You can be confident of receiving a first-class service because we offer a written Service Guarantee.
Discover who owns the funeral, cemetery and crematory providers in your area
Northstar Memorial Group has its headquarters in Houston, Texas. It owns more than 75 funeral homes and cemeteries in 11 states. In the Tacoma region, Northstar Memorial Group owns:
- Mountain View Funeral Home
- Mountain View Memorial Park
- Smart Cremation
Stonemor Partners LLP (STON) hails from Trevose, Pennsylvania. It is one of the largest cemetery/funeral/crematory conglomerates in the USA, with over 300 cemeteries and 100 funeral homes in 28 states. It is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). In the Tacoma region, Stonemor Partners LLP owns:
- Piper-Morley with Oakwood Hill
- Oakwood Hill Cemetery
Dignity Memorial, also known as Service Corporation International (SCI), is based in Houston, Texas. It is the world’s largest funeral/cemetery/crematory conglomerate chain, with over 2,000 locations. Like Stonemor Partners, it is traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). In the Tacoma region, Dignity Memorial owns:
- Powers Funeral Homes
- Powers Woodlawn Abbey
- Price-Helton Funeral Home
- Neptune Society
- National Cremation Society
Foundation Partners Group hails from Orlando, Florida. It owns 45 funeral homes and cemeteries in 13 states. In the Tacoma region, Foundation Partners Group owns:
- Funeral Alternatives of Washington
Know who is caring for your loved one
Not all funeral directors are created equal. All may offer burials, cremations and ceremonies, but few offer the professional and compassionate service of a family-owned firm like Gaffney Funeral Home. If you’d like to know more about our services, please call us toll free at 866-572-6003 or send us a message by clicking here.